How to Fertilize Your Lawn in Roanoke
When To Fertilize Your Lawn
The best time to fertilize your lawn is when it is actively growing, but the season can depend on the type of grass you have. Cooler-season grasses should be fertilized in spring and/or fall, while warm-season grasses respond best to late spring and/or early summer fertilization. Wait until the ground is consistently 55 degrees Fahrenheit and avoid fertilizing during drought or after heavy rain.
The most common grass in Roanoke is tall fescue, a warm-season grass. If you have tall fescue, fertilize your lawn in late spring.
What is the Best Lawn Fertilizer?
The best lawn fertilizer for your grass depends on your lawn. When choosing which fertilizer to buy, consider the following:
- Do you have warm or cool-season grass?
- Would you prefer organic or synthetic products?
- How much nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium is in the fertilizer?
It’s important to choose a N-P-K (nitrogen, phosphate, potassium) ratio that suits your lawn.
How to Apply Lawn Fertilizer Yourself
Once you’ve determined the type of grass you have, when you will fertilize, and what type of fertilizer you want, now it’s time to apply it:
- Step 1: Choose the appropriate spreader for your lawn size and the type of fertilizer you have.
- Step 2: Measure out the correct amount of fertilizer according to the package instructions.
- Step 3: Fill your spreader with fertilizer and adjust the settings as needed.
- Step 4: Begin spreading the fertilizer evenly across your lawn, making sure to overlap slightly with each pass. Be careful not to spill any fertilizer on sidewalks or driveways, as it can stain.
- Step 5: After spreading, water your lawn thoroughly to activate the fertilizer.
Call The Green Team for Lawn Fertilization in Roanoke
A lot goes into lawn fertilization in Roanoke, so it can be difficult to do on your own. If you’re ready to sit back and relax, call The Green Team! We’ll handle fertilization and any other lawn care need you have. Get started today with a free quote.